Calusari, Pinot Noir, Romania, 2021 BIN NO 2933
Dark, rich and potent, with layers of black cherry, raspberry and cinnamon, this Pinot Noir is a fruity red wine with spicy notes and a lovely long finish.
Ideal served with semi hard cheeses, salmon, tuna, pork dishes made in the oven, duck or turkey in red sauce.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
The Cramele Recas Estate, owned by Englishman, Philip Cox and his Romanian wife Elvira, have put in a huge amount of work into transforming their slice of grape growing history into a contemporary winemaking haven.
The immaculate vineyards are a combination of evolved plantings from 1447 and much more recent plantings too. With recent investments into modernising and improving their winery, they regularly host world class flying winemakers, vintage to vintage, to work with their team. This enables them to create top quality wines and constantly challenge themselves push innovations and approach winemaking with an open mind.
100% estate grown gapes from the Uberland Hill vineyard. Conventional new world viticulture and meticulous canopy management. Grown on a variety of soils, from cracking clay to limestone rich loam. All vineyards are non-irrigated. Trained to vertical shoot postioned trellis with 2 to 4 canes per vine with replacement spurs. Intervine soil management by cultivation. Yields from 5 to 15 tonnes per hectare.
25% of the grapes were transferred directly into 1000 kg bins without being destemmed then sealed and put through a carbonic maceration and fermentation for 10 days in order to produce a strawberry, fruity part of the blend. The remaining 75% was destemmed, lightly crushed and then macerated and fermented normally at 25°C in stainless steel automated fermenters. Both wines where then separately pressed and the noncarbonic maceration wine was lightly oaked for 2 months with French oak. Finally, the winemakers created a perfect blend of the two wines and it was prepared for bottling
Time: 2 Months
% wine oaked: 75
% new oak: None